The town was established by monks, the name Monnickendam means 'Monk's dam'.
Despite the fact that it is a little fishing town today, it was a vital port in prior centuries. It has a seventeenth-century weigh house, used by vendors and port authorities, and a bell tower that dates from 1591. The fourteenth-century church of St. Nicholas, rebuild in 1602, is especially remarkable.
Monnickendam hosted an artist's colony in the mid twentieth century.
1141 Monnickendam, Netherlands